SB38- The Consumer Protection/Roofing Law
‘Concerning measures to protect consumers who engage a roofing contractor to perform roofing services on residential property.’
This new law, called The Residential Roofing Bill Of Rights, effective June 6. 2012 prohibits a roofing contractor from paying, waiving or rebating an insurance deductible for a property owner.
A contractor may not advertise or promise to waive, pay, or rebate the same. Residential property roofs requiring repair or replacement of $1,000 or more must have a written and signed contract between the property owner and the roofing contractor which includes at least the following:
- Scope of work & materials to be provided
- Cost for same based on damages known at the time the contract is entered into
- Approximate dates of service
- Roofing contractor’s contact information
- Identification of contractor’s surety & liability coverage insurer & their contact information
- Contractor’s policy regarding cancellation of contract & refund of any deposit including a rescission
clause allowing the property owner to rescind the contract for roofing services and obtain a full refund of any
deposit within 72 hours after entering the contract.
- A statement that if the property owner plans to pay for the roofing services through an insurance claim,
the contractor cannot pay, waive or rebate the homeowner’s insurance deductible in part or in whole.
- A statement that the contractor shall hold in trust any payment from the property owner until the contractor
has delivered roofing materials to the jobsite or has performed a majority of the roofing work on the property.
- A statement that the property owner may rescind a contract for services, the payment for which will be
made from the proceeds of a property insurance claim, within 72 hours after receiving notice from their insurer
that the claim is denied in whole or in part.
ALL Colorado roofing contractors must abide by this new law. Realizing the financial hardship this new law may create, Best Hands Roofing Contractors of Colorado Springs will allow its client to pay their deductible with installment payments.
Need A New Roof? Give us a call – we can help!